At Erickson Law, we believe in putting the client first. We operate with diligence and discretion and fully appreciate the sensitive nature of both sexual assault and manslaughter accusations. Recognizing the round-the-clock nature of domestic assault allegations, we provide 24- hour emergency contact channels to help you.
What is Sexual Assault?
What is sexual assault? In Canada, the definition of sexual assault in quite broad. It involves non-consensual activity that interferes with the sexual integrity of another person. This can be anything from unwanted touching, groping, kissing, fondling and rape.
In Ontario, a conviction for sexual assault will bring severe consequences such as a lengthy jail sentence, strict supervision while on parole and/or probation, loss of job opportunities, and forced registration on federal and provincial sexual offender registries.
Murder & Manslaughter in Canada
Murder in Canadian criminal law is defined essentially as intentionally causing the death of another person or intentionally causing bodily harm to another person knowing that death is likely to result.
Manslaughter is when the accused commits an unlawful act which causes death when he/she does not intend to kill. For example, an accused can be found guilty of manslaughter where he/she punches another person once, causing the victim to fall, hit his/her head on the ground and subsequently die from a head injury. Here, the accused is guilty of manslaughter because death was caused by his/her punch (i.e. assault) even though he/she did not intend to kill the victim.
What Do I Do if I Get Arrested?
Upon being detained or arrested, many people panic and assume that talking to the police will lighten their sentence or swing things in their favour. This is NOT advisable. Instead, demand that you be able to speak to a sexual assault/murder and manslaughter criminal defense lawyer
If ask to speak to a particular lawyer, the police must stop asking you questions and must give you a reasonable opportunity to speak to the lawyer you requested as soon as practicable. If you do not know any lawyers, then they must give you the right to speak to a free duty counsel as soon as praticable. Your lawyer will most likely advise that you exercise your right to remain silent.
The Benefits of Contacting a Lawyer
There are several reasons why you should hire a murder & manslaughter/sexual assault defense lawyer without delay. Here are just a few of them;
- A good lawyer is able to spot the inconsistencies and improbabilities in the accuser’s version of events.
- The lawyer works with you to determine if there are any ulterior motives for the allegation.
- Your lawyer may also be able to obtain further evidence that shows that the accuser is not reliable or credible. There are several courtroom advocacy strategies to test the complainant’s credibility.
- If you have to testify at trial, your lawyer prepares you for the cross-examination that will come your way.
- A lawyer may be able to prove that any evidence brought against you was obtained illegally, meaning that it will be excluded and not used at your trial.
- Apart from all of the above, a skilled and qualified criminal defence lawyer is able to bring a wealth of knowledge to the table that may improve your chances of an acquittal.
Maximize Your Chances of Winning the Case
All criminal charges are taken seriously, but the Crown is particularly stringent with those involving sexual misconduct. If you are accused of sexual assault or murder and manslaughter charges, you will need a lawyer who can provide an equally serious criminal defence, and will fight to ensure justice is served.
Call (416) 3633612 to speak with John Erickson if you have been charged with sexual assault.